|Single by BiS|
|From the album|
April 11th, 2012
IDOL is BiS' third indies single, and the last indies release of its first generation. It was released exclusively at HMV.
Idol Stunt Edit
In early 2012, BiS announced that, as their previous material had been underperforming, they would be rebranding their image to fit that of a more traditional idol. They announced the single "Idol" (アイドル). It was promoted with the tagline "Let's buy the same single over and over again", referring to the marketing technique used by the management of idol groups to encourage fans to purchase several copies of a CD single. The music video was hit by heavy criticism from BiS fans after it showed the members dancing in maid outfits to a cute song, as opposed to their previous "punk" image. It was eventually revealed to be a prank at the expense of their fans, and the music video for the actual song, "IDOL", was released instead.
Single Information Edit
- Lyrics: Ryuuguji Iku
- Composition: Matsukuma Kenta
- While the lyrics for "IDOL" are in Japanese, they are pronounced in such a way to sound like accented-English. As a result, the song is given multiple meanings, from both the official Japanese lyrics and the English interpretation.This style would be repeated in later WACK releases such as OTNK.
- "Idol" was released as a secret B-Side for the single.
- While a parody of mainstream idol music, "Idol" sounds very similar to the style of music that then-member Terashima Yufu would release as a soloist.
- Additionally, while the "let's buy the same single over and over again" promotion was initially a joke at the expense of mainstream idol management, it would eventually be used as a legitimate sales tactic in later BiS releases, especially with the introduction of BiS.LEAGUE.